May 24, 2018

28 Members of FTQP, together with Cllr Sarah Bogle and Cllr John Noon, attended the AGM. Reports were given on progress with the park redevelopment and fundraising. The gardening group had grown to 20 people, and had put in a total of 121 volunteer hours since last October. Leaflets and publicity had grown membership overall from 72 at the last AGM to 99 now. A new website is being developed to aid communication with members. It was agreed that a third new aim be added to the two existing aims ‘to encourage activities and uses of the park that promote community cohesion, inclusion, health and wellbeing’. There is now a committee of 7, with 5 vacant spaces, new committee members are welcome, and members were invited to attend a committee meeting to see if they would like to join.

Connecting with the past – Roger Townsend gave a short talk on Town Quay park, which had been a WW2 bomb site until 1964, when it became one of Southampton’s newest parks. The talk focused on one specific historic building, known as Quilter’s Vault, which is almost 1,000 years old. It was built with stone from Bembridge on the Isle of Wight, and was used to store claret from Bordeaux, the main import to Southampton. Eventually it was owned by Eliza Quilter, owner of the Royal George Hotel, which was built on top of the vault in the 19th century. She died in 1885, but the vault continues to bear her name. It was suggested that a portfolio might be put together of short histories of the historic buildings around the park.

After some reports and updates, there was a Connecting with Friends session, where people discussed at separate tables what they want from their membership of FTQP.